Some devices allow consumers to provide an extraordinary, long-promised immersive experience on a limited basis; no one is entirely successful. But according to reports, Apple is about to enter the arena with its long-awaited consumer VR headset.
Checkout: Elon Musk’s Plan To Colonize Mars
Apple working on both and AR and VR headset
The first thing to understand is that, at least for Apple, this technology is nothing new. A secret Apple team tirelessly tried to launch VR products that met Apple’s strict standards.
At Apple’s highest level, Chief Hardware Engineer Dan Richie is responsible for overseeing the development of virtual reality and augmented reality. The company will certainly not hesitate to make acquisitions in the fields of virtual reality and augmented reality.
Apple also mentioned Next VR, a virtual reality developer from California. They even hired AR and VR experts from the academy. Still, They are hiring valuable employees, including Doug Bomer, a computer science professor at Virginia Tech and author of the 2017 core textbook 3D User Interface, Theory, and Practice.
ARKit aims to help developers make full use of AR features in existing Apple device kits.
Augmented reality (AR) describes user experiences that add 2D or 3D elements to the live view from a device’s camera in a way that makes those elements appear to inhabit the real world. ARKit combines device motion tracking, camera scene capture, advanced scene processing, and display conveniences to simplify the task of building an AR experience. You can create AR experiences with these technologies using the front camera of an iOS device.
Apple technology can now quickly identify and manipulate virtually any flat, horizontal wall in the real world.
Source: ARKit – Apple
- In terms of display, the headset is reportedly equipped with two high-resolution 8K displays, which will help users focus on fine details such as small fonts and help them see real people standing in front and behind virtual objects.
- This revolutionary sensor and display kit will draw processing power from a newly developed chip that will exceed the capacity of Apple’s AR. It also includes lidar or distance sensors and light detection.
- The wrap-around sun visor on the VR headset will seamlessly block any peripheral vision to prevent light from leaking into the field of view and ruining the AR or VR effect.
- One leading theory is that the VR headset will utilize spatial audio technologies familiar to AirPods Pro customers, delivering a fascinating sound experience.
- The headband can be replaced with a thicker replacement belt to provide longer battery life on the go. Stripes will produce node results in a variety of beautiful colors.
- The headset will contain 15 cameras, two AK displays, and an interchangeable headband that can localize sound or extend overall battery life. Eight cameras will give a streaming AR experience by capturing the surrounding environment with subtle depth.
Apple Labs in Sunnyvale weighs between 200 and 300 grams. However, the final mass-production version is expected to reduce the weight from 100 to 200 grams.
Surprisingly, so-called mixed reality headsets configured to provide virtual reality and augmented reality capabilities can launch in the second quarter of 2022.
Apple aims to sell around 180,000 units, which is equivalent to the Mac Pro. This headset will be significantly more expensive than those offered by other firms, which is expected the U.S $3,000. But it is not an official price while a price hasn’t yet been confirmed.